Thursday, July 22, 2010

Msr snowshoes

Well I'll give you a review of the actual product, and not the "Overall
Experience". I've snowshoed on Atlas, and Tubbs, and have to say the are by far
the best shoes out there. While others are sliding around on the steep, these
things are rock solid. Unlike the tube frame shoes that have small crampons
added, these are all crampon. The frame is made of one vertical piece with a
serrated edge, it acts like a huge crampon and digs into the snow and ice. This
works great during steep traverses. The ascent bar is a nice feature, but its a
little hard to pull them up, especially when wearing gloves. I usually don't
bother with them unless its a long ascent. Might have to figure out a way to add
straps to them for pulling, as its almost impossible to get your fingers under
to raise them. A tip on sizing. I went with the 25's originally, but ended up
buying the 30's. I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs. They 25's were fine in fairly firm
snow with a light to no pack, but with a full pack and fresh powder, forget it.
I was post-holing like crazy. I'd say look at the MSR sizing chart, and if
you're falling in between sizes, go with the larger size. Make sure to add the
weight of your pack to the equation also. Overall I'm extremely happy with these
shoes, and I'm sure they will last a long while.
MSR snowshoes

No comments:

Post a Comment